1. I. General Considerations in Aquaculture - Introduction; History of Aquaculture; Development of Fish Culture; Purpose of Aquaculture; Importance of Aquaculture; Advantages of Finfish Culture; Categories of Farms; Categories of Fish Farming System; Basic Considerations in the Selection of Species for Culture; Cultivable Freshwater Finfishs.
II. Biology of Cultivable Finfishes - Biology of Carps; Biology of Important air breathing fishes; Biology of Important Catfishes; Notes on Important Larvicidal Fishes; Notes on exotic Food Fishes in India; Food and Feeding Habits; Factors influencing feeding; Reproduction.
2. Aquatic Environment- Introduction; Productivity and ecological bioenergetics; Water quality and Soil Conditions of Fish Ponds; Nutrient dynamics; Micro-organisms and nutrient cycles; Management of soil and water for aquaculture
3. Predatory and Weed Fishes - Introduction; Examples of Predatory and Weed Fishes; Role of Predatory and weed fish in Pond; Eradication of Predatory and Weed Fishes; Methods of Eradication.
4. Aquatic Insects and Their Control - Introduction; Aquatic insects; Control of predatory insects.
5. Common Freshwater Aquatic Weeds - Introduction; Aquatic Weeds; Control Measures.
6. I. Artificial Propagation - Introduction; Structure of Ovary; Development Stages of Ovary; Structure of the testes; Development Stages of testes; Age at Maturity; Fecundity; Factors affecting Fecundity; Fecundity of Cultivable Carps; Ecological Conditions in gonad Development; Relation between endocrine system and reproduction in fishes; Pituitary Gland; Interrenal/Corpuscles of Stannius; Thyroid; Adrenal gland; Granulosa Cells; Urophysis; Pineal; Ultimobranchial gland; Pancreas; Types of hormones.
II. Hypophysation - Introduction; Pre-requisites for induced spawning of Carps; Inducing agents; Methods of injection; Specification of needle and procedure for administration of injection; Seasons for inductions of spawning; Alternative inducing agents; Response time; Spawning enclosures; Estrous and Spawning; Artificial fertilization; Methods of degumming and Stripping; Methods of Stripping; Comparison between two Fertilization methods; Bundh breeding; Techniques of breeding operation; Collection and hatching of eggs; Factors influencing carps in bundh breeding; Additional features adopted in-dry bundhs; Problems encountered in bundh breeding; Production of catfish Seed in bundhs.
7. Embryonic Development and Incubation - Embryonic development; Incubation; Indices used in incubation; Management; Carp seed transportation.
8. Structural Features of a Fish Farm - Construction of a Fish Farm; Site Selection; Size and depth of the ponds; Dyke; Ratio between different ponds; Pond renovation; Maintenance; Placement of different types of ponds in a Fish Farm.
9. Pond Fertilization - Significance; Organic manures; Varieties of Inorganic fertilizers.
10. Fish Feed - Introduction; Nutritional requirement of finfish; Physiological approach to nutritional bioenergetics; Varieties of fish feeds; Formulated Feeds; Diet Processing; Management of Feeding; Nutritional diseases.
11. Fish Diseases and Fish Health Management- Introduction; Major types of fish diseases; Significance of fish diseases control; Principles of fish health management.
12. Application of Genetics and Aquaculture - Introduction; Genetic improvement of stock; Selection; Basis for Selection; Methods of Selection; Response to Selection; Different methods of breeding; (1) Mendel’s law; (2) Genetics of qualitative phenotypes; (a) Possibilities of Genotype phenotype in F1 and F2 generations; (b) Linkage; (c) crossing Over; Sex linked genes; Sex-limited phenotypes; Genes with multiple alleles; Genes exhibit pletrophy; Quantitative phenotypes; Hybridisation; (a) Sex manipulation; (b) Chromosomes; (c) Chromosomal aberation; Fish genomic; Chromosomal manipulation; Gene engineering; Genetic markers; Genetic conservation of fish.
13. Global Scenario - Introduction; Finfish production; Crustacean production; Molluscan production; Seaweed production; System of freshwater fish culture; Carp culture; Sewage fed Fish culture; Water logged and Swamps for air breathing fish culture; Fish culture in cages and pens; Running water Fish Culture; Fish culture in rice fields; Freshwater prawn culture; Freshwater Pearl culture; Integrated fish culture; Economic efficiency; Management; Organic aquaculture.
14. Pollution - Introduction; Types; Sources; Effects; Cause of pesticide pollution; Preventive measures and recommended limit.
15. Fisheries Extension Education - Introduction; Definition; Key element in non formal education; Need of aquaculture extension; Objective; Functions of extension; Principles of extension; Scope of extension; Extension efforts - A review; Qualities of an ideal extension officer; Principles of diffusion of technology; Diffusion of technology system (DTS); Diffusion method; Aquaculture extension schemes; Concept of rural sociology; Psychology; Principles of extension programme planning; Participatory approach in extension; Shift from culture to livelihood security; Emerging issues of extension; Use of modern technologies in extension; Significance of ITK (Indigenous technical Knowledge); New strategies in extension; Conclusion.
16. Biotechnology in Aquaculture - Importance; Development; Study of genetic variation; Isozymes; DNA Markers; Characteristics of marker; Studies in India; Genotoxicity assays; Sperm crypreservation Protocol; Fish transgenesis; Scope; Progress in India; Steps for production of transgenic; Interest genes for transgenic fish; Benefits of transgenic Organisms; Issues of genetically modified organisms; Biotechnological prospects in aquaculture.
17. Ornamental Fish Production and Management - Introduction; Important consideration; Ornamental fish resources; Breeding; Strategies for development; Brackish water ornamental fishes; Marine ornamental fishes; Aquarium setting; Ornamental fish trade; Conservation Strategies; Marine Aquarium council (MAC); Role of MEPDA; Constraints.